Mountain Oysters or Huhu Beetle Grubs, Anyone? The Hokitika Wildfoods Festival in New Zealand Has it all!
New Zealand, a country synonymous with award-winning wines and some of the best lamb in the world, has also developed a discerning palate for wild grown, authentic “bush food”. There’s no better place to experience said cuisine than at the “Hokitika Wildfoods Festival”, an iconic gourmet extravaganza showcasing novel “bush tucker”, indigenous New Zealand wild grown food, on Saturday, March 9, 2013. The festival, whose 2013 theme is “Go a Hunting… & Come a Gathering”, kicks off the night before with live musical entertainment. For every Saturday festival ticket purchased now, receive a free ticket to the Friday Night concert.
Known as the “wildest food festival around” the Wildfoods Festival is for those who like to challenge their taste buds. Weird and wacky foods like seagull eggs, huhu beetle grubs (a traditional Maori delicacy), deep fried locusts, whitebait patties, crispy coastal shark, mountain oysters and West Coast gorse flower wine are sampled by thousands of intrepid foodies. The adventurous will opt for some fish eyes and venison tongue while those with a sweet tooth will enjoy the chocolate-coated beetles. The wildfoods festival – held on the second Saturday in March each year (March 9th 2013) – appeals to daring gourmets, but is also a great excuse to explore the scenic wonders of New Zealand’s West Coast along the booming culinary scene.
- From the freshwater streams and lakes, BBQ’d pukeko, gamebird salami, smoked trout and salmon will be offered to festival goers by NZ Fish and Game absolutely free;
- MasterChef New Zealand finalist Jax Hamilton will be serving her native Caribbean style hot and spicy funky food (TBC);
- Enjoy the carnival atmosphere and colorful fancy-dressed antics of fellow festival goers, which include New Zealand’s Got Talent finalists Dudly Fairbrass and Evan Stinton;
- Try the freshly trapped and prepared deep fried locusts, barbecued and pickled huhu grubs, huhu beetles and grasshoppers;
- For every Saturday festival ticket purchased now, receive a free ticket to the Friday Night concert.
For more information on the wildfoods festival: http://www.newzealand.com/us/feature/food-and-wine-festivals/