(Westport, CT, February 2012) "“Â Geringer Global Travel has debuted a 14-day itinerary to the mountainous region of Ladakh. Situated in the Indian state ofÂ Jammu and Kashimir, Ladakh is home to one of the last undisturbed Tantric Buddhist populations on earth. With stays in Delhi, Leh, Uletokpo/Alchi, Nubra, and Agra, guests will get a glimpse of Ladakh's rich culture and tradition visiting famous Buddhist monasteries, gompas and palaces. This itinerary is scheduled to depart from the US on Thursday, June 21 and return on Wednesday, July 4, 2012. Pricing starts at $2,760 per person, double and includes all transportation in India, accommodations, guided sightseeing, most meals, and more. In addition, Geringer Global Travel can customize an itinerary to Ladakh to accommodate different travel dates and interests.
After visiting Delhi guests will fly to Leh, the capital city of Ladakh and a historical transit point for caravans of the bygone Silk Route. Surrounded by the towering Himalayas, Leh's countless, crooked alleyways are filled with ancient gompas and monasteries. Guests will also have the opportunity to partake in song and dance in the annual religious festival commemorating the birth of Guru Padamasambhava called Hemis Festival. Held in the largest monastery in Ladakh, Hemis Gompa, the highlight of the Hemis festival is the Masked Dance performed by lamas in colorful and elaborate paper-mache masks illustrating good prevailing over evil.
- Rafting excursion in the Indus River
- Visit to Lamayuru Monastery, the oldest monastery in Ladakh believed to have been a sacred site for the pre-Buddhist religion known as Bon
- Visit a local family in Leh to experience a cooking demonstration of a few local recipes followed by dinner
- Hemis Festival
- Camel ride in Nubra (extra), known for its two-humped Bactrian camel
Price includes: Roundtrip airfare between Delhi and Leh, Ladakh; accommodations on twin sharing basis; daily breakfast and all meals in Leh sector; transportation as per activities; English speaking guide for sightseeing; entrance fees to all monuments as per itinerary; rafting on the Indus River; one hosted family dinner in Leh; all current applicable taxes.*
* Pricing is based on per person, double occupancy if paying by check. Â Price includes an airfare that can increase until booked. Prices do not include: gratuities, meals not mentioned in program, and international airfare.
For more information visit www.geringerglobaltravel.com.