A broad range of arts and entertainment events has diversified Queenstown’s summer event portfolio as concerts, theatre, acting courses and cultural workshops provide a creative edge to the resort’s existing line-up of sport, food and wine.
Destination Queenstown CEO David Kennedy said the inclusion of several arts and entertainment events reflected a growing and maturing community and resulted in more reasons for people to visit the resort.
“The summer event calendar now has broad audience appeal with a comprehensive range of events and activities. This is significant in terms of Queenstown’s continued success as a holiday or short break destination in that it adds motivating factors to any decision to visit. It also ensures the resort is attractive to a wide range of people and provides Destination Queenstown with another marketing platform.”
Events this weekend include sumptuous regional tastes at the annual Central Otago Food and Wine festival to be staged in the Queenstown Gardens, the Weber Brothers Circus at the Queenstown Primary School and the Amici Forever concert to be held at Peregrine Vineyard in the Gibbston Valley. Also on offer this weekend are several events offered under the community Summerdaze Festival umbrella. These include More FM’s Big Barbecues offering fun picnic afternoons in Hawea, Queenstown, Wanaka, Kingston and Glenorchy, nightly live music at the Dux de Lux and Queenstown Business House Bowls on Monday evening.
And the events keep rolling throughout February and into March with a full calendar of things to see, take part in or learn about including:
· TOWER New Zealand Youth Choir concert in Queenstown on February 9
· The Actor Within – a 10 week acting workshop for the beginner or experienced actors
· Wakatipu Tavern Donald Hay Classic – a two day sailing event on Lake Wakatipu over the weekend of 17 and 18 February
· Creative Photography Workshops
· Community picnic the Mill Creek Backyard Bandstand on February 18 in Queenstown
· The Goat Alpine Adventure Run on February 18
· One Day International Cricket – Black Caps v West Indies on February 22 in Queenstown
· Fat Freddy’s Drop concert among the vines at Peregrine Winery on February 25.
A four season lake and alpine resort, Queenstown locals celebrate each of its distinct seasons with a fitting celebration. Still to come in 2006 are: Arrowtown Autumn Festival, Lindauer Queenstown Winter Festival and Spring Loaded.
For more details on events and attractions in Queenstown please refer to:
For more on New Zealand at ITKT